October 2021 District Agenda
- Minutes of the previous meetings and schedule of district meetings
The minutes of the previous meetings will be considered. The schedule of district meetings will be presented.
- Board of Directors meeting minutes
A summary of actions taken by the Board during the April/May electronic vote will be presented.
Design Manual Items
- Complete streets study (Chapters 5, 12, and 13)
An IHRB project is proposing updates to several shared SUDAS/Iowa DOT sections. These changes are included in Chapter 5 (geometric tables and elements and complete streets), Chapter 12 (sidewalks, bicycles, pedestrians, and accessible traffic signals), and Chapter 13 (pedestrian elements in traffic signal design).
- Traffic signals (Design Sections 13A-1 – 13A-5 and Spec Section 8010)
Revised the design and spec sections on traffic signals with guidance from the SUDAS Traffic Signal Committee.
Specifications Manual Items
- Granular stabilization (Section 2010, 1.08, H)
Added bid item for replacement of unstable material.
- Casing pipe (Section 3020, 2.02, A)
Added additional equivalent material to improve availability and potentially reduce costs.
- Water main testing and disinfection (Section 5030, 3.01-3.09)
Updated testing procedures to match AWWA C651.
- PCC paving updates (Section 7010, 2.01, H and 3.01, C, 2, h; Section 7011, 3.02, J, 1, e; Section 7040, 3.03, B, 5)
Added reference for new Iowa DOT section on glass fiber reinforced polymer dowel bars and clarified that only metallic bars must be epoxy coated. Added an acceptable range to accommodate different vibrators for machine paving. Included requirement for paving all saw joints. Sealed the edges of pavement patches with grout.
- Driveway curb transition (Figures 7030.101 and 7030.102)
Added information on the slope of the curb transition at driveways.
- Jointing for PCC patches (Figure 7040.102)
Clarified the type of joint to use.
- Channelizing devices (Section 8030, 2.03)
Added channelizing devices that comply with NCHRP 350 of MASH-16 (Manual for Assessing Safety Hardware).
- Traffic signs (Section 8040)
Added a new section providing for contractor supplied permanent traffic signs.
- Discussion items
- Allow expansion joint on the PCC paving side of storm sewer intake boxouts? Also, modify the width of expansion joints at manholes and intake boxouts?
- Delete the 1 inch fiberboard between the asphalt fillet and the end of the railroad tie in Figures 7010.903 and 7020.902?
- Fiberglass dowel bars and seed shortages.
- Should we develop a Design Manual section on asset/pavement management?
- Iowa Public Works Service Bureau update
An update on the project will be given.
- Products and/or research
District committee members can suggest new products to be proposed for SUDAS manual inclusion; suggestions for potential research projects can also be made at this time.
If you would like to print the whole packet, click here!
(The packet is set up to print double sided, with dividers)
Page revised: October 13, 2021