October 2018 District Agenda
- Minutes of the previous meetings and schedule of district meetings
The minutes of the April meeting will be considered. The schedule of district meetings will be presented.
- Board of Directors meeting minutes
A summary of actions at the May 18, 2018 Board meeting will be presented.
- Election of officers
According to the corporation bylaws, the districts are to elect a Chair and a Vice-Chair every two years.
Design Manual Items
- LED street lighting (Chapter 11)
Updated design sections to reflect use of LED street lighting.
- Temporary traffic control (Sections 13B-1 through 13B-6)
Added section on the design requirements for work zone traffic control.
Specifications Manual Items
- Foamed cellular concrete (Sections 3010, 3020, 4010, and 4020)
Added foamed cellular concrete as an option for special pipe embedment and encasement material, backfill for abandoned tunnels, annular space grouting, and sewer abandonment fill.
- Dewatering (Section 3010, 1.08, A, 6)
Expanded the requirements to clarify what work activities are encompassed by dewatering.
- Abandoning sewers (Sections 4010, 1.08, K and L and 4020, 1.08, E and F)
Split the activities of plugging and filling and plugging. Designated full measurement and payment information for each work activity for sanitary sewers and storm sewers.
- Linear trench drain (Section 4020, 1.08, 2.02, 3.04, and Figure 6010.521)
Added linear trench drain as joint SUDAS/DOT specifications and figure.
- Pipe aprons (Sections 4020 and 4030)
Inserted pipe apron language in Section 4020 and added a reference to Iowa DOT Standard Road Plan DR-121 for pipe connectors. Clarified dewatering in Section 4030.
- Pipe rehabilitation (Section 4050)
Revised the pipe rehabilitation section based on current practices/products.
- Steps in manholes and intakes (Section 6010, 2.13 and Figures 6010.301, 303, 304, 305, 401, 404, 405)
Changed the default to no steps in manholes and intakes.
- Rock subbase (Section 6010, 3.01 and Figures 6010.302-305, 401-406, 501-513)
Added rock subbase to all cast-in-place structures to match precast structures.
- Internal manhole drop (Section 6010, 1.08, 2.15-2.17, 3.06, and Figure 6010.308)
Developed new figure and specifications language to allow for an internal manhole drop.
- Intakes (Figures 6010.515, 541, and 545)
Developed a new figure for a double well area intake (6010.515) and added two Iowa DOT intakes – open-throat curb intake under pavement (SW-541) and single open-throat curb intake with extended opening (SW-545).
- Tubular dowels (Figure 7010.101)
Add tubular dowels to available methods of joint transfer for doweled contraction joints.
- Railroad crossing approach (Sections 7010 and 7020)
Added bid items and execution language for PCC and HMA railroad crossing approaches.
- Plastic concrete cylinders (Section 7010, Table 7010.02)
Revised the test requirements for plastic concrete cylinders to delete the 6 inch requirement, which will allow either 6 inch or 4 inch specimens.
- Thin HMA overlays and interlayers (Section 7021)
Lowering of the design target for lab voids is intended to result in higher binder content, which will increase mix flexibility and reduce premature cracking. VMA (voids in the mineral aggregate) is no longer used as a mix design parameter. Clarify sample location due to thin applications.
- Temporary traffic signals (Section 8010, 1.08 and 3.06)
Expanded payment and removal process for temporary traffic signals.
- Traffic signal foundations (Figure 8010.102)
Clarify length of foundations in rock and the forming at the top of the foundation.
- Discussion items
- Should we add infiltration barriers to storm sewer manholes to address boxout maintenance issues?
- Do you use “butyl sealant” for adjusting rings, especially at the concrete/casting interface?
- Should we add natural area management (invasive species management by chemical, mechanical, burning, and then restoration with native seeding) to our Division 9?
- Are you experiencing problems with paving contractors not repairing honeycombed curb areas when they are placed by slip form pavers?
- Iowa DNR is working with some affected groups (ACEC, IWEA, League of Cities) to update some of their standards, particularly Chapters 11, 12, 13, 14, and 18C. Drafts of the proposed changes can be found at http://www.iowadnr.gov/Environmental-Protection/Water-Quality/Wastewater-Construction/Design-Standards. Please provide comments to Greg Reeder (firstname.lastname@example.org) by November 16th.
- Products and/or research
Page revised: December 5, 2018