Dr. Veneziano is the safety circuit rider with the Iowa Local Technical Assistance Program (LTAP) at the Institute for Transportation at Iowa State University. Dr. Veneziano earned his doctorate in transportation engineering from Iowa State University in 2006. He has over 15 years of experience in various aspects of transportation research, including safety and operational analysis, winter maintenance applications, intelligent transportation systems, and remote sensing. He has considerable research experience working with numerous agencies including the National Cooperative Highway Research Program, the Iowa; California, Oregon, Idaho, Colorado, Maryland, and Montana Departments of Transportation, among others. In addition, his experience includes outreach and training activities for safety treatments, roadside safety, work zone flagging and safety, and roadway signing and marking.
- PhD, Civil Engineering (Transportation Engineering), Iowa State University, Ames, IA, 2006
- MS, Transportation Planning, Iowa State University, Ames, IA, 2002
- BS, Management, St. Joseph’s College, Rensselaer, IN, 2000
- Safety Circuit Rider, Iowa LTAP, InTrans, Iowa State University, May 2015–present.
- Research Scientist, Western Transportation Institute, Montana State University, August 2006–May 2015.
- Professional experience has focused on conducting research and outreach in the areas of traffic safety, operations, and intelligent transportation systems. Other transportation-related research efforts include winter maintenance, planning, economic analysis, and remote sensing. Emphasis has been on evaluation of low cost safety and operational countermeasures and treatments for rural roads.
- Outreach activities include workshops and training for local road agencies, addressing various needs including low cost safety treatments, work zone flagging, and signing training.
Selected Research Projects
- Designing and Implementing Maintainable Pedestrian Safety Countermeasures, Minnesota DOT, 2021–present
- Traffic Sign Life Expectancy, Iowa DOT, 2016–2021
- Investigating the Necessity and Prioritizing Pavement Markings on Low Volume Roads, Minnesota DOT, 2016–2018
- Development of Iowa Road Safety Audit or Assessment (RSA) Guidelines, Iowa DOT, 2015–2017
- Guidance on Traffic Sign Effectiveness, Installation, and Removal, Iowa DOT, 2015–2016
- Evaluation of Pavement Markings on Low Volume Rural Roadways in Iowa, Iowa DOT, May 2015–December 2015
- Risk Factors Associated with High Potential for Serious Crashes, Oregon DOT, 2013–2015
- Information/Education Synthesis on Roundabouts, Montana DOT, 2013–2015
- Rumble Strips: Existing Literature and the State of the Practice in New Mexico, New Mexico DOT, 2012–2013
- Benefit-Cost Analysis of CDOT Fixed Automated Spray Technology (FAST) Systems, Colorado DOT, 2012–2014
- Safety Opportunities in High Friction Surfacing, American Traffic Safety Services Association, September 2012– December 2012
- Portable Concrete Barrier Condition and Transition Plan Synthesis, Montana DOT, January 2012–June 2012
- Cost Effective Local Road Safety Planning and Implementation, American Traffic Safety Services Association, August 2011–December 2011
- Federal Lands Traffic Calming, Federal Highway Administration Central Federal Lands Division, 2011–2013
- Safety Evaluation of the Gateway Monument Demonstration Project, Caltrans, 2008–2009
- Veneziano, D., and Goetz, V. 2021. Technology Exchange on Local Roads Bridge Programs. Transportation Research Circular E-C272, Transportation Research Board, Washington, DC.
- Fay, L., Villwock-Witte, N., Clouser, K., and Veneziano, D. 2020. Severe Weather Index. Maryland Department of Transportation, Baltimore, MD.
- Veneziano, D., and Smadi, O. 2018. Investigating the Necessity and Prioritizing Pavement Markings on Low-Volume Roads. Minnesota Department of Transportation, St. Paul, MN.
- Veneziano, D. and K. Knapp. 2016. Sign Effectiveness Guide. Institute for Transportation, Iowa State University, Ames, IA.
- Knapp, K., Veneziano, D., and Albritton, P. 2015. Evaluation of Pavement Markings on Low-Volume Rural Roadways in Iowa. Institute for Transportation, Iowa State University, Ames, IA.
- Veneziano, D. 2016. Evaluation of the Fredonyer Pass Icy Curve Warning System. Western Transportation Institute, Montana State University, Bozeman, MT.
- Veneziano, D., Muthumani, A., and Shi, X. 2015. Safety Effects of Fixed Automated Spray Technology Systems. Transportation Research Record: Journal of the Transportation Research Board, Vol. 2482, pp. 102–109.
- Veneziano, D., Shi, X., Ballard, L., Ye, Z., and Fay, L. 2014. A Benefit-Cost Analysis Toolkit: Assessing Road Weather Management Technologies and Enabling Winter Maintenance Best Practices. ASCE Special Publication Climatic Effects on Pavement and Geotechnical Infrastructure, pp. 217–230.
- Veneziano, D., and Koon, L. 2014. Survey of Western State Safety Warning Devices. Western Transportation Institute, Montana State University, Bozeman, MT.
- Veneziano, D., and Villwock-Witte, N. 2013. Safety Opportunities in High Friction Surfacing. American Traffic Safety Services Association, Fredricksburg, VA.
- Ye, Z., Veneziano, D., and Turnbull, I. 2012. Safety Effects of Icy Curve Warning Systems. TRR: Journal of the Transportation Research Board, No. 2318, pp. 83–89.
- Veneziano, D., Zhirui, Y., Westoby, K., Turnbull, I., and Hayden, L. 2012. Guidance for Radar Speed Sign Deployments. , 91st TRB Annual Meeting, Washington DC, January 22–26.
- Ye, , Veneziano, D., and Lord, D. 2011. Safety Impact of Gateway Monuments. Accident Analysis & Prevention, Vol. 43, No. 1, pp. 290–300.
- Veneziano, D., Villwock-Witte, N., and Al-Kaisy, A. 2011. Cost Effective Local Road Safety Planning and Implementation. American Traffic Safety Services Association, Fredricksburg, VA.