Mr. Wiegand is the director of the Statewide Urban Design and Specifications (SUDAS) Program at the Institute for Transportation at Iowa State University. He has over 45 years of experience in urban public works activities. As SUDAS Director, Wiegand assists in developing and maintaining manuals for both design and construction specifications for urban public works projects. These manuals are used by cities, counties, consultants, and the Iowa Department to implement urban public works projects covering areas from streets, underground utilities, site work, and landscaping to traffic signals, among many other work activities. In addition, Mr. Wiegand, a professional engineer licensed in Iowa, conducts research on topics related to public works that will enhance the information provided in the SUDAS manuals.
Prior to joining InTrans, Mr. Wiegand spent over 30 years with the City of Ames, Iowa, the last 17 years as Public Works Director. He is a Life Member of the American Public Works Association and was named as one of their 2016 Top 10 Leaders of the Year.
- Advanced graduate coursework, Transportation Engineering, Iowa State University, Ames, IA
- BA, Civil Engineering, Iowa State University, Ames, IA
- Professional Engineer, Civil Engineering, State of Iowa, 1976 to present
- SUDAS Director, Institute for Transportation, 2010–present, Ames, IA
- Responsible for directing the activities of the SUDAS (Statewide Urban Design and Specifications) program, including interaction with the Board of Directors, Iowa DOT, and engineers across Iowa explaining the value of the program.
- Tasked with keeping the Design and Specifications manuals updated.
- Give presentations about the program to contractor, public works, and public agency groups on a statewide and regional basis.
- Transportation Research Engineer, Institute for Transportation, 2005–2010, Ames, IA
- Joint appointment to SUDAS and the National Concrete Pavement Technology Center (CP Tech Center).
- Responsible for activities related to updating the Statewide Urban Design and Specifications Manuals including interaction with Technical and District Committees and the Board of Directors and work involving research and other activities for the National Concrete Pavement Technology Center.
- Presentations at state and national conferences/workshops.
- Public Works Director, City of Ames, 1988–2005, Ames, IA
- Responsible for the departmental activities of 75 employees involved with engineering utility (water, sanitary sewer, and storm sewer)
- Oversaw construction and maintenance, including street construction and maintenance
- Responsible for traffic engineering, signs, and traffic signals
- Municipal airport management
- Solid waste disposal through resource recovery
- Review of site developments and subdivisions with associated impact agreements
- Budgeting and administration.
- Municipal Engineer, City of Ames, 1978–1988, Ames, IA
- Responsible for the development, design, and construction administration of the City’s capital improvements program involving pavements and underground infrastructure.
- Review of subdivision and private site developments for public impact.
- Traffic Engineer, City of Ames, 1976–1978, Ames, IA
- Responsible for the design, construction, operation, and maintenance of traffic signals, signs, pavement markings, and parking meters.
- Developed and distributed a safe walking routes to school program for nine elementary schools.
- Civil Engineer, City of Ames, 1974–1976, Ames, IA
- Developed project plans for sewer, water, and street projects
- Participated in construction administration and budget control.
- Assistant to the City Engineer, City of Charles City, 1972–1974, Charles City, IA
- Completed field survey, drafting, and design of street and utility projects.
- Completed construction administration of utility, airport, and street projects.
- American Public Works Association (APWA)
- Life Member, 1979 to present
- FHWA Pavement Preservation Expert Task Group, 2014-2015
- Top 10 Leader of the Year
- Iowa Chapter, APWA
- Member of the Chapter Board of Directors, 1982 to present
- President, 1987
- Leader of the Year, 1988
- Stan Ring Distinguished Service Award, 2005
- American Society of Civil Engineers – Member
- Iowa One Call Corporation, Board Member representing the Iowa League of Cities, 1997 to present