Dr. Ceylan has extensive experience in pavement field investigation and forensic testing, pavement performance evaluation and modeling, mechanistic-based pavement analysis and design concepts, nondestructive testing and health monitoring of transportation infrastructure systems, smart infrastructure/engineering materials, innovative airfield pavement engineering solutions, and engineering application of intelligent data mining and computational and artificial intelligence techniques.
Over the course of his career, he has been involved with over 115 research projects – worth more than $20.8 million project funds since 2002 – related to transportation infrastructure systems and pavement/geo/engineering materials, serving as the principal investigator or co-principal investigator. Research sponsors include the National Science Foundation, Federal Highway Administration, Federal Aviation Administration, National Cooperative Highway Research Program, Strategic Highway Program, Portland Cement Association, various state departments of transportation and highway research boards, among others.
Dr. Ceylan has authored and co-authored over 345 peer-reviewed publications, which includes 6 edited books, 4 invited book chapters, more than 130 journal articles (plus 3 fully peer-reviewed Geotechnical Special Publications), and over 140 fully-refereed conference proceedings and technical reports. He is also an avid technical presenter, having delivered over 350, including more than 100 invited presentations at universities and conferences with several keynote lectures. During the course of his tenure at ISU, he has advised and mentored over 70 graduate students, postdoctoral research associates, and research staff.
And besides having served on the editorial board for 9 international journals, he has been a member of over 30 national and international committees and organizations, serving as the chair of the ASCE Geo-Institute (GI) Pavements Committee, chair of the newly-formed ASCE Transportation and Development Institute (T&DI) Task Force Committee on Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS) Impacts, and having organized and chaired many technical conference sessions for these professional associations.
- PhD, Civil Engineering, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 2002
- MS, Civil Engineering, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 1995
- MS, Civil Engineering, Dokuz Eylul University, Izmir, Turkey, 1993
- BS, Civil Engineering, Dokuz Eylul University, Izmir, Turkey, 1989
- Professor, Department of Civil, Construction, and Environmental Engineering (CCEE), Iowa State University (ISU), 2015–present
- Associate Professor, CCEE, ISU, 2010–2015
- Assistant Professor, CCEE, ISU, 2002–2010
- ISU Site Director, FAA Center of Excellence (COE) for Partnership to Enhance General Aviation Safety, Accessibility, and Sustainability (PEGASAS)
- Director of Program for Sustainable Pavement Engineering and Research (PROSPER), Institute for Transportation, Iowa State University, 2013–present
- Pavement Research Engineer, Institute for Transportation, Iowa State University, 2002–present
- Faculty Affiliate, Center for Nondestructive Evaluation (CNDE), Iowa State University, 2005–present
- Pavement Research Engineer, Federal Aviation Administration (FAA), National Airport Pavement Test Facility (NAPTF), 1999
Selected Research Projects
Involved with over 115 research projects with over $20.8 million in project funds such as the following:
- Small Unmanned Aircraft System (sUAS) for Pavement Inspection, Federal Aviation Administration (FAA)
- Implementing a Multiple-Slab Response Model for Top-Down Cracking Mode in Rigid Airport Pavements, FAA
- Updating FAA Advisory Circular 150/5370-17, Airside Use of Heated Pavements, FAA PEGASAS COE
- Full-Scale Demonstration of Heated Portland Cement Concrete Pavement Systems; FAA PEGASAS COE
- Superhydrophobic and Icephobic Materials for Nano-Modified Heated Asphalt Cement Concrete Pavements, FAA PEGASAS COE
- Investigation into the Feasibility of Using Electrically Conductive Asphalt Cement Concrete for Heated Airport Pavements, FAA PEGASAS COE
- Reevaluation of Effectiveness of Emergency Vehicle Colors in Safety and Identification, FAA PEGASAS COE
- Airport Safety Database & Analysis, FAA PEGASAS COE
- Effects of Implements of Husbandry “Farm Equipment” on Pavement Performance, FHWA Pooled-Fund Study
- NCHRP Project 1-47, Sensitivity Evaluation of MEPDG (Mechanistic-Empirical Pavement Design Guide) Performance Prediction (Phase I and Phase II), NCHRP
- SHRP II Nondestructive Testing to Identify Delaminations between Pavement Layers, SHRP II
Selected Peer-Review Publications
Representative five publications in past five years (total: over 345 peer-reviewed publications).
- Kaya, O., Ceylan, H., Kim, S., Waid, D., and Moore, B. 2020. “Statistics and Artificial Intelligence Based Pavement Performance and Remaining Service Life Prediction Models for Iowa Flexible and Composite Pavement Systems,” Presented at the 99th TRB Annual Meeting, NRC, Washington, D.C., January 12–16, 2019, and Accepted for publication in Transportation Research Record: Journal of the Transportation Research Board.
- Malakooti, A., Theh, W. S., Sadati, S. M. S., Ceylan, H., Kim, S., Mina, M., Cetin, K., and Taylor, P. C. 2020. “Design and Full-Scale Implementation of the Largest Operational Electrically Conductive Concrete Heated Pavement System,” Construction & Building Materials, Vol. 255, Article Number: 119229.
- Rezaei-Tarahomi, A., Kaya, O., Ceylan, H., Gopalakrishnan, K., Kim, S., and Brill, D. R. 2020. “ANNFAA: Artificial Neural Network-based Tool for the Analysis of Federal Aviation Administration’s Rigid Pavement Systems,” International Journal of Pavement Engineering, DOI: 10.1080/10298436.2020.1748627.
- Yang, B., Zhang, Y., Ceylan, H., and Kim, S. 2020. “Evaluation of Bio-Based Fog Seal for Low-Volume Road Preservation,” the International Journal of Pavement Research and Technology, Vol. 13, pp. 303–312.
- Amini, K., Cetin, K., Ceylan, H., and Taylor, P. C. 2020. “A Summary of Factors Affecting Concrete Salt-Scaling Performance,” the ACI Materials Journal, Vol. 117, Issue 3, pp. 53-62.
Other Scholarly Publications
Representative five presentations in past five years (total: over 350 presentations).
- Ceylan, H. 2021. Construction and Performance of Using Sustainable and Renewable Materials for Road Foundation Stabilization, Workshop of Performance of Stabilized Pavement Foundations with Conventional and Unconventional Stabilizers at the Transportation Research Board (TRB) 100th Annual Meeting, NRC, A Virtual Event, January 5–29, 2021.
- Ceylan, H., Moore, B., Bjerke, L., and Dawson, A. 2020. TRB Webinar: Using Otta Seal as a Surface Treatment on Low-Volume Roads, August 4, 2020.
- Ceylan, H. 2020. Use of Unmanned Aerial Systems in Health Monitoring and Management of Transportation Infrastructure Systems, Workshop on Developments in Low-Volume Road Management, the Transportation Research Board 99th Annual Meeting, NRC, Washington, D.C., January 12–16, 2020.
- Ceylan, H. 2017. Heated Airport Concrete Pavement Systems, the Airport Task Force Committee, the 54th Annual Meeting of American Concrete Pavement Association (ACPA), San Diego, CA, November 28–30, 2017.
- Ceylan, H. 2016. Use of Smart Sensors and Systems for Health Monitoring of Civil Infrastructure. Keynote Speech, 2016 Texas Civil Engineering Conference, San Marcos, TX, September 21–23.
Professional Affiliations, Honors, and Service
Dr. Ceylan has served as an editorial board member for nine international journals and as a member of more than 30 national and international committees and organizations.
- Fellow, American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE), “ASCE Fellows have made celebrated contributions and developed creative solutions that change lives around the world. It is a prestigious honor held by 3% of ASCE members,” April 2021.
- 2021 American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE) James Laurie Prize, for “Significantly advancing transportation engineering with his career contributions in smart, sustainable and resilient transportation infrastructure systems” to be hosted at the joint event of the ASCE International Conference on Transportation and Development (ICTD) and the ASCE International Airfield and Highway Pavements Virtual Conference on June 8–10, 2021. The James Laurie Prize was established by the ASCE on October 1, 1912, and is named in honor of the first president of the ASCE. The prize is now awarded on the basis of making definite contributions to the advancement of transportation engineering in research, planning, design or construction. Dr. Ceylan is the first recipient of this award from the state of Iowa.
HALIL CEYLAN RECEIVES THE JAMES LAURIE PRIZE (ASCE’s Announcement)
Ceylan receives 2021 Laurie Prize (College of Engineering News Story at ISU)
PROSPER’s Ceylan receives 2021 Laurie Prize from ASCE (Institute for Transportation News Story at ISU)
- 2021 University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (UIUC) Civil and Environmental Engineering Alumni Association (CEEAA) Distinguished Alumnus Award, “Recognizing only the best and most outstanding alumni from the CEE department at UIUC”.
- 2019 FAA Partnership to Enhance General Aviation Safety, Accessibility and Sustainability (PEGASAS) Center of Excellence Jimenez Faculty/Researcher Award, “This award recognizes individuals who lead PEGASAS projects in a PI or co-PI role in an exemplary manner”, FAA PEGASAS Annual Meeting, the Ohio State University, Ohio, June 4–6, 2019.
- 2018 Margaret Ellen White Graduate Faculty Award, “Established by a long-time staff member of the Graduate College, the award recognizes superior performance by a member of the graduate faculty in enriching the student-professor relationship and enabling students to finish their work in a timely and scholarly manner,” Graduate College, Iowa State University.
- 2018 Award for Mid-Career Achievement in Research, “The award recognizes a tenured or tenure-track faculty member who has demonstrated exemplary research performance or scholarship accomplishments as documented by peers or experts in the field.” Iowa State University.
- 15 other honors, recognitions, and outstanding achievements